Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Web Services and Firewall/Network Architecture

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:49:47 -0600

I guess you need an XML firewall, like IBM Datapower one.
There are some more application-specific XML firewalling tools out there.

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 02:28:53PM -0400, Ginski, Richard J wrote:

   There's talk in our org to directly interface one of our back-end
   servers to provide web services for external entities via the
   Internet. On the surface, this is a risky option for me. Although
   firewall "protected", I don't want a "protected device" directly
   interacting with web service "consumers" from the Internet. It sounds
   like a bad idea to me.

   I have been searching around looking for sample diagrams (etc) on
   environments that support Web Services. I am trying to determine where
   stuff goes in this environment and how a firewall/DMZ fit into the
   picture. Can anyone point me to where info would be available for
   this? I've checked the archives for the past year and checked at
   OASIS, W3C, OWASP, and XML.com, with no luck. The "web services sites"
   focus on coding practices, coding architecture, and coding frameworks.
   Although very important, it's not the info I am looking for. We are
   trying to determine how web services fit in our environment using best
   practices in network design and network security to support web
   services.

   Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

   email protected and scanned by AdvascanTM - keeping email useful -
   www.advascan.com