Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Slow FTP downloads from behind PIX

From: "Bill O'Connell" <boconnell () libertycreativesolutions com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 08:11:45 -0500

Many years ago we had a similar problem. Traffic moving one way(I forget if it was uploads or downloads) After weeks of
troubleshooting, I inspected and replaced the network cable. Turns out 1 wire wasn't making complete contact and the
slow speed was actually the result of retransmitting bad packets.

Recently we had a similar problem with traffic in both directions. Completely random. We replaced the firewall, server,
etc. We were running a wireless T1. The internet provider insisted that the connection tested fine. Throughout the
spring the problem became worse until one (windy) day last week when our connection became unusable. The internet
provider came out and discovered trees had grown about 1/2 mile away in the path of the wireless tower. Over the spring
the leaves grew in and on windy days caused havok on the tcp transmissions.

Both incidents taught me never to rule out the lower layers when it comes to networking.

We used packet captures in both cases during the troubleshooting process.

Hope this helps.

Bill