Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: syslog and network management

From: david () lang hm
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:06:56 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Brian Loe wrote:

On Thu, Feb 21, 2008 at 7:19 PM,  <david () lang hm> wrote:

 if you end up doing much searching through your logs you can end up eating
 a LOT more CPU then you imagine, especially as you correlate things and
 end up searching for more related items at a time.

I've found that if you utilize, for instance, syslog-ng, you can split
up the log files based on whatever (device type, network, etc.).
Searching those smaller files is a lot less CPU intensive.

true, but I found that syslog-ng was far less effective at the more
important job of receiving syslog messages from the wire and writing them
to disk

David Lang