Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Layer 3 / Layer 7 integration

From: "Lord Sporkton" <lordsporkton () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 18:09:39 -0800

I dont think i understand fully what you asking. It sounds like you
have some custom app that works in client server mode that hands out
IPs? and you want to inspect it? I think....

Its almost impossible to do app layer inspection on a custom protocol,
you would have to write you own inspection engine for it and then you
would need a firewall that supports customer inspect engines. Or you
could just write your own firewall...... Or you could run over a
standard protocal :)

Inspection at layer 3/4 is really very simple, layer3 only deals with
the tcp/ip stuff, so the layer3/4 inspection would only really look at
things like making sure seq# is correct after its established, which i
have never seen the ability to turn that off, but its very low level
and layer3/4 inspection causes almost no latency so far as i know.

Layer7 inspection on the other hand CAN cause latency if you overload
the firewall. However in this case since you are doing custom app, you
cant layer7 inspect that anyway, so no latency there :)

Hope that helps,
Lawrence