Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Edge appliance (firewall) that filters/monitors/recordsinstant messenger?

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 08:07:42 -0500

The first option you mention is the most secure (default: deny all).  You'll have to remember, however, that HTTP
tunnelling has become more and more common... leading to a need for a site filtering black list to be thrown into the
mix.  Or you can make sure your users know your policy (no IM except the officially authorized IM of X using Y) and
then audit periodically to enforce.

The second option you mention works well also.  However, I don't see it obviating the need for periodica audits either.

Final word: you can roll your own, buy a pre-packaged solution, or hire a service, but you will still need to overlook
it at least once a week (delve into the logs, check some random connections, get your hands into the guts).  Human
expertise is a vital part of any security solution.

--p