Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Middleboxes can only do the middle work

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 12:56:02 -0400

Nice recap.  I still like the idea of a "middleware" app proxy
using a whitelist approach; however, as even the best and most
security conscious programmers quite simply make mistakes--not
to mention all the languages, libraries, and frameworks out there
that programmers must use, which were never meant to be secure
in the first place.  E.g. an http proxy that insisted on sane
input, with only alphanumeric and maximum of 128 chas, otherwise
it just drops the whole http get/put/etc.  A lot of old CGIs
would suddenly become usable again. ;-)

Perimeter firewalls are necessary.  OS hardening is necessary.
But none of it matters if the apps you are running are riddled
with buffer overflows and etc. waiting to happen....

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you, although it might sound
like it.

--p