Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Protocol inspection

From: david () lang hm
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 15:05:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 31 Mar 2008, Darden, Patrick S. wrote:

You hit the nail on the head here.  You can do the following:

0.  firewall (include only specific endpoints for HTTP/SQL traffic)
1.  stateful (helps defeat MITM attacks/interceptions/stream injections on the HTTP/SQL streams)
2.  packet inspection (make sure port 80 is http traffic, 1443 is SQL, etc.)
3.  content filtering (reflexive IDS (called Intrusion Prevention (IP) by some products like Astaro) e.g. utilizing
Snort ruleset to create on the fly filters based on content)

I don't know of a level 4 above, which would be:

4.  application proxy (SQL proxy that filters out all queries by default except those that match specific criteria,
i.e. a SQL whitelist ruleset)

I think if someone did make such a beastie, it would make waves.  It
would probably have to be tightly bound into a Web Proxy, maybe a module
for a pre-existing Web Proxy like Apache or Squid.  You would think that
with SQL injection being such a large vector of attack, this would have
already been addressed.  Checking Google I can only find stuff like
this:

there are some companies that make products that work in this space. some
require you to produce whitelists, some auto-learn 'normal' traffic and
block 'abnormal' traffic

they are expensive, and their configuration (such that I've seen) is a
nightmare. I won't start naming companies at the moment, but I may have
suggestions in a few months.

David Lang

Introducing mod_security http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/apache/2003/11/26/mod_security.html
(includes a blacklist version that prevents two specific SQl injection attacks, almost useless)

Securing Apache: Step by Step http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1694
It is worth emphasizing that the above model doesn't support PHP, JSP, CGI or any other technologies that make it
possible to interact with Web services. The use of such technologies may pose a large security threat, so that even a
small, inconspicuous script can radically decrease the server's security level. Why? Primarily, ASP/CGI applications
may contain security vulnerabilities (e.g. SQL injection, cross-site-scripting). Secondarily, the technology itself
can be dangerous (vulnerabilities in PHP, Perl modules etc.). That's why I strongly recommend using such technologies
only when an interaction with a Web site is absolutely necessary.

20 ways to Secure your Apache Configuration http://www.petefreitag.com/item/505.cfm
(no mention of SQL injection at all)

etc.

If someone knows of one, please speak up!
--Patrick Darden