Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Pix rulebase/policy analysis

From: jacob c <jctx09 () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 07:11:39 -0700 (PDT)

I'm a newbie to the PIX line but these questions would apply to other firewalls as well. I have some questions that I
hope you guys can assist me with.

  Two Questions:
  1) What is the best/easiest way to document a current policy? Spreadsheet?? I
  would like to know what ports (services) are open and to where? Also duplicates,
  etc.? Would it be best just to put it in a spreadsheet? Is there a tool for
  this?
  2) Once an audit/analysis has been made, what is a good way to make the new
  changes, if there are many? Would it best just to download the config and modify
  it offline?
  3) What is the method to see what rules are being hit the most so I can
  rearrange the rules in the most logical, efficient order?
  4) Is there standard Analysis checklist to go by when reviewing a PIX firewall
  policy?
  Any help is highly appreciated.
  Thank you,