Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: wireless security on notebooks

From: Alex Ott <alexott () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 21:40:39 +0200

Hello all

"A" == ArkanoiD  writes:
 A> On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 11:52:01AM -0400, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
I don't want to fill my computer of antivirus, anti spyware, and Norton
rubbish, I prefer a simple configuration like this.  Please, if you have
some ideas about this, share it with me, or perhaps to tell me that I'm
missing something that makes this situation nonviable.

All the Windows attacks of late have been in-band, if you're not
running AV on Windows the only way to save yourself from anything other
than DLL injections is to be running software restriction policies in
default deny mode.  Without on-access AV scanning and ant-spyware
scanning you're likely to have a compromise.

 A> Well really? Are zero-day attacks widespread enough? I assume if you do
 A> windows update in time and do not watch pr0n (which increases the
 A> probability to meet zero-day exploit) you are almost safe. I'd also
 A> suggest not using IE.

According reports of our Anti-malware team, zero-day attacks widely used to
gain control over user's systems

--
With best wishes, Alex Ott, MBA
http://alexott.blogspot.com/    http://content-filtering.blogspot.com/