Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Isolating internal servers behind firewalls

From: jdgorin () computer org
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:42:49 +0200

One upon a time, when security was not yet an helpless field [1]...

I have had to write an SMB filter for an NFR IDS. It was a nightmare to
troubleshoot because of the faulty specification and implementation from
Microsoft :(
At last, I only did SMB packet header checks and no SMB protocol analysis.

[1] before the e-business paradigm and the "everything-over-HTTP" pattern

JDG

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."
Philipp K. Dick