Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: static nat for inside returning traffic

From: Chris Myers <clmmacunix () charter net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 17:21:18 -0600

Either way NAPT or NAT you need a Static NAT from the a routable IP
address from your outside interface subnet to an internal IP address
if it is part of the RFC1918 for 1:1 NAT. You will need an ACL on the
outside pointed to the <external routable IP> from whatever. This is
only for hosts initiated to this host. The NAPT would add the port in
the static policy. The all 0's route (default route) will take care of
the outbound initiated access for your inside host. No need to put a
route in for any hosts on the Internet, and your global nat policy
will do the outbound NAT for your inside host going anywhere (many to
one NAT).

access-list foo permit tcp any host <external routable IP> eq
<whatever port>         "the 'any' in this acl can be a host as well.
use: host <internet IP>
static (inside,outside) <external routable IP> <internal rfc 1918
addr> netmask 255.25.255.255

Just in case:  if your inside host is a routable IP subnet (and paid
for) don't need NAT and you can put an outside ACL pointed directly to
the routable host on the inside. I am assuming you have a subnet on
the RFC1918.

Hope this clarifies it.

Thanks
Chris