Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Issue with replacing SonicWall VPN with Cisco ASA VPN devices

From: Chris Myers <clmmacunix () charter net>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 21:19:05 -0600

You will setup the ACL's you will have named for your crypto-map map
<whatever> match address vpn_acl_HQ. They will have to be subnets
because you are defining trusted subnets for the site-2-site. (access-
list vpn_acl_HQ permit ip 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.0
255.255.255.0). Even with the intra/inter-face same security level you
will still have to setup No NAT (nat (inside) 0 access-list nonat)
(access-list nonat permit ip 10.1.1.1 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.0
255.255.255.0) policies for the traffic to not nat over the VPN. I am
assuming you are using the 'outside' interface for the VPN peer, hence
security levels will be different. The only risk involved with this is
if the branch offices are using there own internet connection where
you get all the virus' (all 0's route out there own router to the
internet) and not using HTTP/HTTPS over the VPN to HQ, which it sounds
like, because this will give carte blanche to any worm or attack that
is successful in the branch office to propogate to the HQ. If you are
only using the HQ for certain traffic, then define that traffic and
only allow it over the VPN via ACL and not use 'ip' for the ACL. If
this is not feasible, then get another PIX and use it strictly for VPN
let the IP traffic traverse it for simplistic setup reasons and create
a transit between the two boxes on a dmz or inside interface with
specific ACL's for the traffic you want to hit the HQ.

Hope this helps!