Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAT order help

From: sivakumar <siva_itech () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:36:08 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

     Thanks for your reply. Is my rule for Static PAT right or i need to
specify TCP/UDP ports to do a PAT? Is it possible to translate multiple ip's
from inside to a single ip outside using static. Please let me know since i
couldn't find in Cisco Docs saying any Static PAT like that rather they do
perform redirection on ports.

kevin horvath wrote:

to clarify,

Traffic initiated from the inside (10 net) will map to itself
(identity nat), unless it is tcp traffic destined for 1.1.1.1 then it
will map to 1.1.1.2.

Traffic initiated from the outside to the inside will not matter since
this is where there is no overlapping as the above scenario.  Here
traffic destined for 10.x will be translated to itself.  The policy
nat in this scenario does not allow traffic initiated from a lower
security interface to a higher security interface as it can only be
done via nat exemption, identity nat, or static nat/pat.  I think this
is where the confusion was.  Only local traffic can be translated with
Policy NAT (thanks for catching my typo above) not global.

hope this clarifies things.

Kevin