Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How to find hidden host within LAN

From: "Fiamingo, Frank" <FiamingF () strsoh org>
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2007 15:51:02 -0500

I've seen this on our network in recent months also.  It ususally has to
do with virtual machines that default to using 192.168.x.x (VMware) and
10.211.55.x (Parallels) addresses.  They either exit their physical
machine not properly NATed for your network, or when they interact with
some applications, such as MS Exchange, the Exchange server may try to
reply to the original 192.168.x.x or 10.211.55.x address.  Apparently
this original source address must be buried somewhere in the data
portion of the packet.  Either problem makes the origin very difficult
to trace, because you can't route to, or ping, that source address.

        Frank