Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Benefits of Network Extention Mode vs IPsec

From: "Robby Cauwerts" <robby () cauwerts be>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 14:48:39 +0100

On 1/18/07, Craig Van Tassle <craig () codestorm org> wrote:

I suppose you're talking about Cisco vpn stuff.

Can anyone point me to some good documentaion as why NEM is better then
Standard
IPSec VPNS?

Basically: two two sides can initiate traffic.

With Client mode (to which you are referring as *standard* IPSec) only the
client can setup traffic to the main office because PAT is used.

When using NEM your main office can also setup traffic to the remote vpn
site because no PAT is used but routable addresses.

For configuration guides and in depth explanation check the Cisco site.

Br.
Robby