Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

TFTP (Was: Re: firewall-wizards Digest, Vol 10, Issue 9)

From: Carson Gaspar <carson () taltos org>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:54:44 -0800

St John, Richard wrote:
One of the problems we had was that TFTP can be both UDP and TCP. When
VOIP was initiated {we run phones on remote sites through our VPNs for
config} we had the problems you described, it was not until we noted our
illustrious new firewall admin had opened TCP 69 and not UDP69. Once
that was opened to the remote networks, everything started to work fine.
Our firewall logs show that the Cisco & Mitel phones all were trying to
pull on UDP 69

No. TFTP is UDP only (and a horrid port-changing lockstep UDP protocol
at that - writing an app proxy for it was... interesting).

--
Carson