Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: TFTP over vpns

From: "Mathew Want" <mathew.want () ac3 com au>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:49:17 +1100

Craig,

I had an instance last week where we were trying to block the reply traffic
from a TFTP server with an ACL (the joys of an exercise in a Cisco course).
What the instructor found was that in one of the RFC's (or similar tech doc)
that some implementations of TFTP servers, although contacted on UDP/69,
answer on udp/XX69. This would get dropped by a firewall tracking the UDP
traffic as it would appear as a new connection rather than a reply to an
existing one.

Hope this helps.

M@
--