Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: New to Cisco PIX/ ASA

From: Jason <jasonisnow () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 08:35:40 -0400

Only minor thing I'll add for sake of clarity is the need for translation
(NAT or it's many flavors) when traversing any two interfaces on a PIX/ASA.
When typical traffic (non-VPN) from the internal interface, Eth0/0, is
destined for the external interface, Eth0/1, network address translation has
to occur. This would include the use of a nat/global command pairing:

global (outside) 1 66.166.x.x 255.255.x.x
nat (inside) 1 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.x

When traversing any two interfaces you always need two things: permission
(access-list) and translation (NAT or one of its cousins).