Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: PIX 515E 7.2 Duplex problem

From: Chris Buechler <fw-wiz () chrisbuechler com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:04:51 -0400

Drumheller, Michael wrote:

The interface on the PIX shuts down when duplex is changed from auto
to full.  The switch it connects to is configured for full duplex but
the PIX still shows half duplex when in auto negotiate mode.

Of course - when you force one end to full and leave the other on auto,
the auto side ends up half duplex and you end up with a duplex mismatch.
That's what is expected to happen when you misconfigure things like
this. You can't set one side to full and the other on auto.
suggested reading:
http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0704/817-7526.pdf
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonegotiation

What if you just set the port and the PIX to auto? I hate seeing
networks where people force duplex, 90% of them I see end up with duplex
mismatches all over because too many people don't understand how
autonegotiation works. Every vendor including Cisco recommends using
auto whenever both ends support it.

It *shouldn't* be an issue to set both ends, and all 515E's should have
only 10/100 ports. But it's not recommended, personally I wouldn't care
why it doesn't work.

You may want to check for a firmware update for your switch regardless.
Since your PIX seems to be on the latest version it should be fine.