Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX log analyzer, parser, reporter?

From: Devdas Bhagat <dvb () users sourceforge net>
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 12:21:00 +0530

On 04/10/06 19:44 -0700, Vahid Pazirandeh wrote:
That got your attention didn't it?  I know this is a lengthy subject,
because I was reading through the other thread titled "parsing logs
ultra-fast inline".

Is there a "logwatch" equivalent that reports on PIX v7.x logs (not v6)?
Logwatch (http://freshmeat.net/projects/logwatch/) is just so simple, and does
some reporting on syslog files.

I just have one PIX device to worry about.  Should I just come up with a list
of include/exclude regexps instead of trying to find some tool?  Should I
collect iptables logs too?

That would depend on how complex you are trying to make your parser. A
simplistic parser would allow you to filter out noise in the logs, and
let you focus on the objects of interest. Collecting iptables logs as
well is a good idea, provided that you can do something with them.

I'm probably missing the bigger picture of network security reporting.  Your
experience and helpful tips are appreciated. :-)

The loganalysis list would probably be a better place to look for that
information.

Devdas Bhagat