Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Pix 535 Logging

From: "Horvath, Kevin M." <KEVIN.M.HORVATH () saic com>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 10:52:19 -0500

Just deny everything external for smtp except for your mail servers and then
configure logging for at least informational (off the top of my head I think
this is what will catch the denies).  You could sort out what you want to
see at the syslog server.  Or you could use your border router with an
egress acl with a deny on all port 25 traffic except for your mail servers
and put a log at the end of the deny rule (make sure logging is configured
correctly on the router).  The router will work depending on where you do
your NAT/PAT and if you use pat before the border then it wont work at all
so you would need to use the firewall rules.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Kevin