Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: firewalls and routers (sai)

From: "Seidl, David ." <dseidl () purdue edu>
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:41:45 -0500

Due to the fact that you are dealing with credit card processing, you may
need to meet PCI compliance standards - more details can be found at:

http://usa.visa.com/business/accepting_visa/ops_risk_management/cisp.html

This requirement includes "Install and maintain a firewall configuration to
protect data". Typically, this means that PCI compliance audits would not
accept a router as a firewall, although there are some devices that can act
as both.

You should check with your credit card vendor to ensure that you meet their
security requirements.

David Seidl, CISSP
IT Security and Privacy Analyst
ITaP - IT Security and Privacy