Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Help

From: Aaron Smith <smitha () byui edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 09:27:17 -0700

On Wed, 2006-11-15 at 08:26 -0600, Utz, Ralph wrote:
I haven't run your test, but I have delt with this problem on a
consulting basis in the past.  Here's some info: PIX 6.3.5 and below
block any DNS packet larger than 512 by default.  When EDNS forces a
packet larger than 512 the firewall will drop the packet.  In Windows
installations I've seen this cause the DNS service to hang and stop
responding to requests.  The PIX can be configured to allow larger DNS
packets.

And, conversely, Windows EDNS0 can be disabled, as we did in our
environment.

@@ron Smith