Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: firewall stress testing tool

From: "Dave Diehl" <thogogorog () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 23:13:24 -0500

My experience as a network manager and later a firewall developer is that
the only "stress testing tool" that can tell you much about how a system
will hold up under load is something designed to mimic that load as closely
as possible.  How much traffic are you expecting?  How much data per session
on average, and with what distribution?  Spread out over how much time?
Evenly distributed or in surges?  Do you expect to see a large number of
idling persistent connections?  What kind of variety and distribution of
source and destination addresses will be involved?  All of the issues I
mention here and more will have an effect on the performance of even a
trivial stateful inspection firewall (and I didn't even start on the
charateristics of the undesired traffic).  The number of relevant variables
goes up quickly when you instead consider a firewall that does something
more than let you check the "firewall" box in your annual audit.

Of course, as Marcus implies, since the firewall you describe isn't really
doing much of anything, it has a pretty good chance of being stable under
load.

-dave