Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Site to siteVPN between public ip and private ip

From: "Horvath, Kevin M." <KEVIN.M.HORVATH () saic com>
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 09:51:43 -0400

The first assumption here is that you are referring to a site to site vpn so
the short answer is No.  It has to be a routable address.  Your CA office
provider will have to NAT your 10 net address to a publicly routable
address.  Even then depending on the device that is doing the NAT it might
not even work, because NATing IPSec is not a desirable scenario.

What you should do is set up a client to site vpn which will allow any user
with the correct vpn profile and vpn software to connect to your vpn
endpoint (assuming NYC HQ).  Set up ipsec tunneling using tcp (you pick the
port) on the head end and then configure the client side profiles
accordingly.  Then you can just distribute the software with the profiles
preloaded and then they are set.

  _____