Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Question about a Cisco PIX 515 - Routing question (I think)

From: "Bruce Smith" <bruce_the_loon () worldonline co za>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 17:44:23 +0200

Hi Charles

This is because the external IP doesn't exist at all. The PIX accepts the
packet from the Internet, changes the addressing to map the
internal->external NAT and sends it on in. A return packet is handled in
reverse.

When you try that on the inside of the network, the packet is handled by the
default route and sent onto the outside interface. At that point, the packet
disappears into the bit-bucket because the PIX does not turn the packet
around and send it back inside. In fact, I'm not even sure that the NAT
rules come into play in this scenario, AFAIK, the rules apply to traffic
inbound to an interface after the access-lists apply. PIX 7 is supposed to
be able to hairpin an interface, but I've never configured this and cannot
supply any further information on this feature.

It may (unless your programs are too complex) be easier to get the servers
to talk to each other on the internal 10.x ip addresses instead.

If I've made any glaring mistakes, please feel free to reeducate me :_)

Regards,

Bruce Smith
Firewall Administrator
Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University