Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: X server in a Firewall

From: Cat Okita <cat () reptiles org>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 22:58:06 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
On Tue, 24 Jan 2006, Cat Okita wrote:
Down the hall?  Must be nice.  I'm thinking "to another continent".
Still doesn't preclued out of band access.

Nope.

Frankly while I agree that firewall management should be done out of
band, there are certainly situations where physical access is not a
straightforward means of out of band access - and the environment is
legitimately dynamic.
That doesn't mean transport and management have to mix.

I'm in complete agreement - just pointing out that there are ways other
than sneakernet to handle management access.

As for the OP (whose name I've now forgotten), using X to manage your
firewall on the same interface as the traffic you're ostensibly defending
against is - well - dumb.

cheers!