Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

802.1x on wired networks

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 12:27:16 -0500

I'm about to begin working on a project to convert all of our wired ports to
802.1x authentication.  The more I dig into the technical aspects of
actually rolling this out, the more I realize how none of the vendors (like
Cisco, Microsoft, or Apple) have thought through how large-scale deployments
should work.  However, if the vendors and infosec trade magazines are to be
believed, lots of big companies are already doing this.

So I guess I'm looking for lessons learned in the field.  Specifically, I'm
looking for tips on how to roll this out to a large number of workstations.
I cannot imagine that Baylor or Dartmouth sent interns around to do this
stuff by hand.

Thanks in advance,
PaulM