Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: IPS vs. Firewalls

From: ArkanoiD <ark () eltex net>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 19:00:08 +0300

nuqneH,

IPS can be (and are being) successfully evaded by fragmentation attacks.
Even worse, signature-based approach is flawed anyways. Internet protocol
security relies on managing data flow, not on trying to find "attacks" in it.
There is zillion ways to do bad things and no IPS can handle it.

(I'd even say that anyone who seriously claim that IPS can replace firewall
is stupid moron with lack of understanding even security basics, and if
those people are allowed to make technical decisions your company has damn
big management problems)