Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Understanding Firewall and SSL Accelerator

From: "Sundeep Sharma" <ssharma3 () sapient com>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 22:00:33 +0530

Hi,
I am new to this list and I am trying to understand a typical scenario
In this scenario, F5 BigIP is used along with the hardware firewall to
 offload SSL traffic from webservers. Now, my confusion is,

1. Who identifies if the incoming traffic is HTTP or HTTPS ? Hardware
firewall or the BigIP ?
2. Firewall forwards the HTTPS request to BigIP ? How does it know which
IP it needs to forward as the same IP will be used for both HTTP and
HTTPS .. ?
3. How does BigIP forwards the request to firewall ?
4. How does webserver sends back the response tp BigIP for encryption ?
5. How does BigIP knows which client to return back the request ?

Sundeep Sharma| Senior Associate, Technology | ¬ Sapient
DLF Cyber Greens, DLF City Phase III, Sector 25-A,  Gurgaon, Haryana 122002, India
*Desk   :+91.124.280.6476 | Fax: +91.124.280.8015 | Mobile : +91.9891482931