Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How automate firewall tests

From: "Tina Bird" <tbird () precision-guesswork com>
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:06:17 -0700

The "take whole classes of problems off the table" approach
is what engineers consider elegance of design. It's that kind
of elegance that is mostly lacking in how we do operating
systems and security system design, today.

i suspect there's a metalayer of usefulness here, as well. one could
conceivably *argue* about which starting assumptions were chosen for a
specific application. but the mere fact that the designer can state, in
simple sentences, what the starting assumptions *are* suggests a level of
careful thought that i have never seen in most of the marketing literature
i've read over the years.

if a vendor can't tell me, in buzzword-free yet technically-comprehensible
english, what the problem is that they're trying to solve, it's a fair bet
that i won't be interested. high tech, plain english.

cheers - tbird