Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How automate firewall tests

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 09:15:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 21 Aug 2006, Tim Shea wrote:

And you can equally argue that proxies were never good to begin
with.  Really - the majority of applications out there have no real

I've got clients who at least have some benefit from running HTTP through
a proxy and stopping various MIME types.  It's not perfect by any stretch
of the imagination, but it stops a fair volume of malware/spyware daily.

layer 7 level proxy so you have to tackle the problem from other
directions.  And the off the shell proxies (smtp, dns, http, etc)
don't offer much value since these applications have been tested to

With a proxy, DNS doesn't go down to the client- that's a huge win in the
anti-tunnel arena.  Where I have clients who do MS Exchange internally,
the SMTP proxy keeps them from spewing SMTP from an infected client as
well...

death or the application isn't anymore "protected".  What is the
point of recommending a solution that doesn't exist?  I am a fan of
proxies but the reality is the firewall - whether it be proxy or
other - is only a small part of the equation.

A chance to arbitrate the conversation isn't necessarily a bad thing-
especially if you can't control the end nodes.

Paul