Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: How automate firewall tests

From: Strabla Ruggero <rstrabla () crema unimi it>
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 21:43:52 +0200

Hello, thanks for all the answers!

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 13:33:58 -0400
"Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com> wrote:

You've chosen a fairly interesting problem. What do you intend to
measure about a firewall?

I'd like to test security instead of perfomance. In my study
performance could be important to test if they can generate a security
problem. For example, if a packet filter or an application proxy under
heavy traffic don't filter correctly as they do in normal situation,
I'd like to see that.
Many days ago I read the firewall whitepaper of ICSA labs
(http://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/docs/html/communities/firewalls/pdf/fwwhitepaper.pdf)
and I saw at page 6 that the main problems about firewalls (or packets
filter) was related at reply attacks, tcp pre-session packets,
fragmentation and so on... I had in mind these types of tests in my
first email.

There's a paper or two that might help you. One (search for
"Ranum Kostic Molitor") is quite ancient, but the problem remains
the same. Email me privately if you want a copy; I can see
if I can find it.

Oh thank you. I'll read it if you can find a copy because on google I
don't find nothing :-(

Another is a paper I did back in the NFR days
on how to cheat on IDS benchmarks. It's highly relevant.
http://www.mail-archive.com/firewalls () lists gnac net/msg22759.html

I read this message. Well, my idea is a bit more modest than that, but
anyway I'm confused about how organize all the "penetration tests" in
a pseudo automatic and logical way. Until yesterday I thought that it
would be enough design a tool for doing synscan, ackscan, fragmentation
stuff ecc... today I'm not so sure..

is a repeat thread of this topic from 2002. See also:
http://www.snort.org/docs/Benchmarking-IDS-NFR.pdf

I'm not interested in IDS at the moment but I read with pleasure that
paper. It shows how will be hard for me design something useful and not
a toy.

On Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:30:07 -0400