Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Appropriate PIX logging level

From: "Adrian Grigorof" <adi () grigorof com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 17:17:10 -0400

To get information about the traffic (the "allow" mentioned in your email)
you need at least level 6 (informational). Oddly enough, you can get the
URLs accessed  (but no other traffic info) with level 5 (Notification). If
you are only interested in denials you can keep the logging to level 4
(Warning).

If storage is an issue, you can simply zip the logs (some log analyzers -
see www.firegen.com - can do that or you can script it). The information in
Pix logs is highly compressible - a 100 MB log can be compressed to a 7-8 MB
file or even less, depending on what syslog server you are using.

Regards,

Adrian Grigorof
Altair Technologies
www.altairtech.ca