Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Access to firewalled server via dhcp'd internet connection

From: "Layer One" <layeronecfp () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 09:16:49 -0700

There's a number of sites that provide Dynamic DNS for situations just
like yours. However, I would contact your local broadband ISPs first
and see if they have a business class solution, or just flat out ask
if you can pay extra for a static IP. I ended up going with Speakeasy
for my home broadband for exactly that reason. Also, something to
consider, when you do pick a broadband provider, find out what ports
they block. I know there was a recent flap in my area because Comcast,
in their infinite wisdom, decided to not just block things like port
80/443/21 inbound, but also SSH and some of the ports things like
OpenVPN use. Obviously, with some trial and error you can pick an
inbound port they arent filtering on, but for f**ks sake, they should
just let you use your broadband for what you want to do with it.