Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Different Authentication For vpngroups On PIX

From: Mike Bydalek <mbydalek () contentconnections com>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 10:09:10 -0700

Hello,

Currently we have a PIX 515E with a vpngroup setup to use AAA via. radius. What I'm trying to do is create a second vpngroup that doesn't use AAA (yes, I know what I'm doing and have valid reasons ;) ). What's happening is that when I take out my line crypto map line of:

   crypto map outside_map client authentication freeradius

and add the following lines to my vpngroup I want to authenticate:

   vpngroup myauthgroup authentication-server freeradius
   vpngroup myauthgroup user-authentication

people in myauthgroup are able to authenticate with no client authentication. The Cisco VPN client just let's them connect as long as their group password is correct.

I may be completely wrong, but isn't that what "user-authentication" is supposed to do? I've looked in the Cisco documentation and don't see anything really explaining the authentication-server and user-authentication.

I've seen some mentions of it being done, but I haven't seen any configuration examples to compare with.

The PIX Version is 6.3(4).

Thanks in advance for pointing me in the right direction.

-Mike