Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Single Exchange/OWA on LAN with Internet Access - a good

From: "Ravdal, Stig" <SRavdal () Quiznos com>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 11:26:56 -0700

Hi Julian,

I think what you suggest is certainly an option.  I have seen it done both this way and where the traffic goes to the
LAN via the firewall.  VPNs are sometimes terminated in this way.

I believe that what you loose is the firewall "inspection" of the unencrypted traffic if the SSL connection is
terminated on ISA.  If you pass the traffic back through the firewall to the LAN then the firewall could potentially
block something bad or log it - but it depends on the capabilities of your firewall.  In some cases firewalls may not
provide support for the twice-pass option.

In the case of ISA acting as the proxy it is at least a firewall and is capable of performing some inspection.  If all
you have is a reverse-proxy and authentication you have created a bypass of the firewall at least for the allowable
protocols, and to the firewall some traffic could be encrypted.

Thanks,

Stig