Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The Death Of A Firewall

From: "Joe" <gijoe () vinylflesh com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 16:59:59 -0500

Well the article says they are "close to achieving that goal" so perhaps
they realized you still need a firewall at perimeter points to public
networks to reduce network "noise" from impacting their internal network
service
levels (SLAs) and have those internal switches see the pounding. :)

But what Mr Berman has accomplished as what I believe to be the endgame and
what we are doing today
with network security architecture as fanatical on networks when the threat
profile as so focused above
it.

I believe the endgame will have the network become a utility you buy like
electricity. Clients will be connected to
this utility (wired or wireless.) This utility would be a complete
convergence of internal building connectivity directly connected to the
Internet. Your service level for this utility will have the utility company
guarantee availability and low latency but not security. If you think about
it for the utility company to meet the SLA the will have to run software to
block network noise like DDoS, port scans, etc from the portal point to the
Internet.

Server farms will be the last bastion (no pun intended) of small networks
with application layer firewalls front-ending them. Of course from a form
factor perspective the server farm may reduce to a piece of heavy iron full
of virtualization.

Clients should be commodotized multimedia systems that are kiosks to
applications that serve
data managed by document management/entitlement systems. This way when data
is requested, copies of the data
sent to clients is "watermarked" with who/what/where/when the data is
accessed by. There
will always be data leakage of some form. Document management/entitlement
systems integration with
watermarking at least helps you track it and plug it.

Given we already have it that people use their PDA/phone for both business
and personal it
is unrealistic to be able to limit the use of the client to specific
applications. All you
can do is secure it from infection. Of course proactive people would have
their clients run
various "Anti-badstuff" software with automatic updates. Other people will
wait to their
client connects to an application (personal banking or work portal) that
scans the client.
Those clients with "good hygiene" have access. Those who do not are warned
and given
options to clean their mess. Don't read the current NAC amd NAD solutions
from Cisco and
Microsoft respectively on this. I am thinking more of a solution like
WholeSecurity.

I am not presenting the endgame as a utopia, just as what appears to me to
be a logical progression
of things to come. The threat profile in the application space will just get
very ugly. My imagination
comes up with rogue EJBs on Java Application Servers.

Like electricity, as a utility all the network will need to be is highly
available and clean from
line noise and other interference.

Am I thinking heresy ?

- Joe