Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Thoughts on the new Cisco ASA 5500 firewalls

From: Aaron Smith <smitha () byui edu>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 08:37:12 -0600

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 11:37 -0500, Chris Byrd wrote:
I consult with a company that is currently in the process of
purchasing a new Pix firewall failover pair.  However, last week Cisco
announced the new ASA 5500 series that should be available (according
to Cisco) by the end of the month.  I normally don't recommend going
with anything that new, but for the about same price the ASA appears
to have a much more robust feature set.

What are your thoughts on the new ASA from Cisco?  Would the
additional features (IPS, AV, integrated VPN, active-active failover)
be worth the risk of being on the cutting-edge?  Has anyone on the
list worked with one yet?

FWIW, the new PIX 7.0 code will do active-active failover (and a bunch
of other cool stuff).  Of course, you have to purchase the active-active
license :^)