Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: PIX -> ISA -> OWA Configuration

From: "Ben Nagy" <ben () iagu net>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2005 17:08:37 +0200

OK, OK, OK.

I've just been slogging through some very very nasty Intel protected mode
architecture documentation, which may be making me tetchy, so apologies in
advance.

Don't get me wrong, I have read enough from both of you to know you have
bags full of clue, and I don't want this to come across ad hominem. However,
in the spirit of lively debate...

You're both crazy, and here's why. :P

1. You're assuming that ISA is more hackable than OWA. Last I checked OWA is
both a web application that takes user parameters and an application running
on top of IIS. If I had to place bets on which of those two boxes is going
to get hacked I will bet big on the OWA box. Assuming that the ISA box can
protect it from malicious web based traffic is whistling into the wind. The
one single port that you're leaving open is the exact same port that will be
carrying all of the attack traffic you're most worried about.

2. Besides, what's the impact if your ISA box gets hacked? You don't need to
give it _any_ access to the internal network (except for services other than
mail, which we're not really discussing).

Let's break it down.

ISA Box Owned
Scenario 1: No big deal
Scenario 2: No big deal

OWA Box Owned
Scenario 1: Hosed
Scenario 2: In big trouble, but not dead yet.

So your architecture can only be correct if the OWA box is _many_ times
harder to own in Scenario 1. The only security delta I can see is that
you're restricting a two stage attack (own ISA box, attack OWA box) to using
port 443 for the second stage. The direct attacks are unchanged. This is
not, IMO, sufficient security benefit. In fact, if it _really_ bothers you
then buy a $900 router and add another filter between ISA and OWA. Or
configure the IP filters on the OWA box. Buy Blink. Buy ZoneAlarm. Do
whatever.

Just don't give any hacker that finds a decent HTTP-tunneled command
execution bug in OWA a one shot kill.

Cheers,

ben