Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Gauntlet End-Of-Support?

From: Kevin <kkadow () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:08:26 -0600

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:31:03 -0600, Kevin <kkadow () gmail com> wrote:
Migrating to another hardware and software platform is not a trivial
task.  Though we've known this was coming since February of 2002, I
still have several applications which have worked for years through
successive versions of Gauntlet, but die (immediately, or after
several hours) when the firewall is replaced with a Sidewinder G2.

At this point I've resolved most of these problems.  There are a few
non-compliant applications (AOL Instant Messenger via HTTPS)
which fail due to the stricter protocol checks enforced by Sidewinder,
but at the moment I'm willing to consider this to be a feature.

Of these applications, the most visible to management is the Bloomberg
terminal service;  to their credit SCC has provided us with yet
another patch to try, but after multiple failures it's becoming very
difficult (politically) to schedule Bloomberg "maintenance" windows.

Update:  The official release of Sidewinder G2 6.1.0 Patch 6
was announced today.  The changes in patch 61006 resolve
the issues we were having with Bloomberg via SOCKS.

Aside from my personal interest in firewalling financial services,
there is other research specifically suggesting that there is risk in
not implementing strong security around Bloomberg specifically, and
data service vendors in general:
   http://www.frontgatesystems.com/middleframe18.htm

Thanks,

Kevin Kadow