Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Screening Router as a firewall

From: "Steve Fletcher" <safletcher () insightbb com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 16:00:19 -0600

Personally, I would go with the two "traditional" firewalls, in addition to
ACL's on the router to block traffic that should definitely not be coming in
over the Internet, such as private (RFC1918), loopback, and multicast
addresses.

As for the make and model of the routers, I have never been a firm believer
in having two different brands.  I can see where that might be useful in
some cases, but for hardware firewalls such as the Cisco PIX, I just have
not seen enough evidence of major problems to warrant that.

That being said, I see no reason my ISA2004 could not be used as the second
firewall.  The company I work for has a lot of customers who are doing just
that.  While I would not want to rely on ISA as my only line of defense, or
even my first line of defense, as a second level of security, I think it
works pretty well.  Plus, you get extra capabilities that are nice, such as
caching of web pages.

Just my $.02 worth.......

Steve Fletcher
MCSE (NT4/Win2k), MCSE: Security (Win2k), HP Master ASE, CCNA, Security+
safletcher () insightbb com