Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

SunScreen stealth interfaces and DHCP

From: Sebastian Birnbach <birnbacs () web de>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:30:06 +0100

Hi all,

I have been choking on this problem for some time now, maybe you can help me out.

In my home office, I am using a Sparc Station for firewall and NAT, and it talks to a DSL modem. To increase security, I want to migrate from IPF to SunScreen and use it in stealth mode /between modem and PPPoE interface/, before it does NAT on different interfaces:

  DSL modem

    hme2 (stealth mode)
    hme2 (stealth mode)

     x   (crossover cable)

    hme0 (PPPoE, dynamic address)
    hme1 (private fixed IP)

--|--|-|-|--| to rest of internal network

I figure that double-using SunScreen is legal, since all packets that pass through the stealth mode interfaces enter through a physical interface, and an IP packet is an IP packet. Thanks to Valerie Bubb's posting I now understand how to configure NAT on a dynamic IP address, no problem :)

So here comes the problem: to configure the stealth interfaces, I must know which IP subnet it lives in, and give this information in the 'screen' definition as parameter STEALTH_NET. But with DHCP I don't know the network at configuration time. Any chance for a dynamic definition? Hmm, alternatively if there was a way to have stealth interfaces bridge different networks, I might use that. But how could I configure this, and what would be a good value for STEALTH_NET?

Please note that I don't want to do the stealth filtering /after/ the PPPoE, because by that time the packets are already inside the kernel.

Thanks a lot

        Sebastian