Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Strange Pix behavior.

From: "Paul Melson" <psmelson () comcast net>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 12:48:29 -0400

This is the typical behavior of most stateful firewalls expressed through
log entries.  What you're actually seeing is the firewall dropping the
RST+ACK packet coming back from the remote web server at the end of the
connection.

A stateful TCP session works something like this:

1. SYN packet leaves client and is picked up by firewall.

2. Packet src/dst addresses and ports compared to directional access-list.

3. Upon matching a 'permit' access-list, a state entry is created that acts
like an implicit access-list for the corresponding return traffic.  (This
works by mapping information from the accepted packet to the new "state
table entry" access-list, like so:
inbound_if <-> outbound_if
dst_addr -> src_addr
dst_port -> src_port
src_addr_after_nat -> dst_addr
src_port_after_nat -> dst_port

4. Firewall counts packets and watches for RST packet from either src or dst
to know when the connection has ended.

5. When the RST is seen, the state table entry from #3 is deleted and the
process begins again.

If the firewall successfully deletes the state table entry before the remote
server can send an RST+ACK (which is what you want, you don't want your
firewall waiting for an untrusted system's predicted response before it
revokes its access), that packet will be compared to the access-lists that
allow traffic from the outside and if no match is found, it will be dropped
and logged.

Your firewall is working just fine, or at least, it's working as it was
designed to work.  If you don't want to see it, I recommend using Kiwi or
syslog-ng to remove these entries from the syslog stream before they reach
your log analyzer.

PaulM

PS - Your reseller sucks.