Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Host based vs network firewall in datacenter

From: Chuck Swiger <chuck () codefab com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2005 21:14:18 -0400

Zurek, Patrick wrote:
I graduated from university not long ago and assumed my first job as network
administrator in a small datacenter. I've been lurking here for a while and
reading the archives. I've learned a lot from what many of you have had to say,
but I'm having difficulty making the jump from the theory behind the way things
should be run (ie. the network design maps that show the little switch, router
& firewall symbols) and the practical applications of that.

Well, congratulations on your new position. The best way to move from theory to practice is to sent up a small test network or two, and see what "doing it for real (almost)" is like.

There are two books that you need to get, read, and then re-read until you've gotten their contents down: "TCP/IP Network Administration", and "Building Internet Firewalls".

I was also reluctant to make this post in fear of getting flamed for having
what will come across as a cluess attitude about network security. Instead
of flaming, please correct me, I want to learn.

While it's true that this list has some fine arguments, most of them are friendly. :-)

I'd like to solicit some advice on a firewall implementation. Our solaris
only site has two main components, a web presence which connects to a backend
application running on top of Oracle, and a custom application (which
unfortunately also runs on the same host as the database) to which our clients
connect. So all our servers need to be internet facing including the database.

OK. I would start by confirming the requirement for being Internet-routable, especially with regard to the database, assuming that contains the stuff you want to protect.

If you can put your DB on a private network and have just the few machines which genuinely need access able to talk with it, that would probably help your security out by a useful amount...

[ ... ]
These are the options as I see them:
1) Wide open - keep the hosts locked down tight and keep open services to a minimum.
2) Host based firewall - put ipf on the hosts
3) Network firewall behind the router - ???

1) Does not seem feasible to continue to operate this way.

This approach can work for a while, but it's dangerous.

For instance, you can have services reappear after you apply a patch cluster, as a new version of the /etc/init.d scripts might be plunked down and turn stuff back on that you'd previous disabled....

2) As a short term measure I have applied ipfilter on several of our non
production hosts. My manager has began to advocate putting it on all production
systems now (about 15 hosts).

Host-based firewalls tend to be more useful on Windows boxes, since they can reduce viruses propogating outwards. Not as important on a Solaris box. It's better than nothing, but your network is still highly vulnerable a lot of things like IP spoofing via source-routing.

3) This option is good because it will allow us to apply stateless ACLs at
the gateway and centralize the management of firewall functions.

Yes. You can use a firewall as a bridge, not a router, if you don't want to adjust your subnetting and have to renetwork your production boxes.

Whether you use stateless rules or dynamic ones is more a matter of taste and how you've locked the boxes down. The important thing is that the firewall will provide a chokepoint where you can inspect, block, and monitor traffic, as well as a spot to prevent people from spoofing internal IP addresses.

--
-Chuck