Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Transitive Trust: 40 million credit cards hack'd

From: George Capehart <capegeo () opengroup org>
Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 18:56:09 -0400

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:
40M credit cards hacked
Breach at third party payment processor affects 22 million Visa cards and 14 million MasterCards.
http://money.cnn.com/2005/06/17/news/master_card/index.htm?cnn=yes

This sounds like (yet another) classical example of "transitive trust gone wrong."
Visa/MasterCard trusted a 3rd party to hold their data and - oops - the trust
was misplaced.

I figure Paul and I and the other "security graybeards" can let this kind of
thing keep happening for a few months more and then we can start turning
on the big, blinking neon lights that say "We Told You So."     Transitive
trust is a *HARD* problem in security. Always has been, always will be.
But today's businesses convinced themselves that they could basically
ignore it - mostly because the obvious stuff like patching and vulnerability
management was more obvious and accessible.

The shift away from mainframe computing to departmental and distributed
in the 80's resulted in a massive dissemination of data. Instead of data
being held in one place in the enterprise, it's available for anyone with a
password who can open an SQL session and make a local table to
play with in Excel/Access. So private and sensitive data was scattered
to - essentially everyone with a password. Now that the horse has left
the barn, and trotted a few miles down the road, a great deal of attention
is being paid to the latch on the barn door. To make matters worse, the
"permissive 90's" and the "outsourcing of 2001" dramatically expanded
both the vulnerability footprint of most enterprises at the same time as
their trust boundaries balooned toward the effectively infinite.

Here's a position to ponder: it's probably too late to secure enterprise
data, in all practical senses of the term "secure."  What's "Plan B"?
Is there a "Plan B"?

"We told you so."

Heh.  Just wait until Web services get widely deployed . . .  No one is
even thinking multiple trust boundaries yet . . . much less how to make
systems operate across them.  All the lessons we learned from the DCE,
CORBA, Kerberos, SESAME, et al. (about what happens when one crosses
trust boundaries (/*within* the organization*/) are about to be learned
all over again, but with a much larger population . . . It's going to be
a mess . . . And there will be no Plan B because no one has a clue what
they're getting into . . .  I gave a talk at OWASP last year that
touched on this and, out of an audience of a couple of hundred people,
only a handful showed that they'd understood the magnitude of the problem.

Cheers,

/g