Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco PIX Version 6.3(3) SMTP Problem

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 08:51:15 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 5 Jul 2005, David M. Nicksic wrote:

I am using a PIX 520 v 6.3.3 and having a spam problem. A spam service
Postini is employed. I want to deny all SMTP traffic unless it comes from
one of the Postini servers. Can the PIX be configured to accomplish this?

Almost any firewall can, however you'll be out of e-mail if the provider
has to put up a new server because of an attack, failure, problem or
address change.  It's probably better to configure your mail server to
reject based on forward/reverse lookups, since you're dealing with one
zone, you'll be able to cache the lookups pretty well.

Note that Postini rejects mail if your server isn't reachable by it- so
it's not all that resilient if you're under attack or having server
issues[1].  Personally, I'd rather run Mailscanner on a Postfix instance
than
outsource something as critical as e-mail.

Paul
[1] Theoretically most things will retry, but you may want to test
critical pager/cell/alert stuff to make sure it won't just give up if
you're under conditions where contacting you becomes important.