Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Intel vs. special purpose FW-1 servers

From: David Lang <david.lang () digitalinsight com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 18:23:45 -0700 (PDT)

as others have said, find out what your real performance requirements are, and keep the future in mind.

check the cost of upgrading the 'optiomized' hardware, you may be amazed at the costs ($1k for 512M of ram for example)

generix x86 hardware is so fast nowdays that I really doubt that you need the added performance from an 'optimized' version.

there are valid arguments (on both sides) about managing the OS yourself vs trusting the vendor to do all the OS changes (the appliance approach)

personally I would buy my own hardware and run it myself, there are just too many times when I want to do just a little something extra on the firewall that would be trivial to script, but isn't allowed on an appliance.

David Lang