Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Gauntlet End-Of-Support?

From: dfoley <dfoley () fltg net>
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 17:10:44 -0500

Foley, Denys wrote:

Message: 5
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 20:31:03 -0600
From: Kevin <kkadow () gmail com>
To: kkadow () msg net
Subject: [fw-wiz] Gauntlet End-Of-Support?

According to Secure Computing's web site, the "End-Of-Life" data for
the Gauntlet 6.0 firewall was 12/31/2004:
   http://www.securecomputing.com/index.cfm?sKey=1312#gauntlet

I've seen Gauntlet support contracts terminating as far out as April
1st, 2005, can anybody report success in persuading SCC to extend
support beyond spring of this year?

Migrating to another hardware and software platform is not a trivial
task.  Though we've known this was coming since February of 2002, I
still have several applications which have worked for years through
successive versions of Gauntlet, but die (immediately, or after
several hours) when the firewall is replaced with a Sidewinder G2.

Of these applications, the most visible to management is the Bloomberg
terminal service;  to their credit SCC has provided us with yet
another patch to try, but after multiple failures it's becoming very
difficult (politically) to schedule Bloomberg "maintenance" windows.

Aside from my personal interest in firewalling financial services,
there is other research specifically suggesting that there is risk in
not implementing strong security around Bloomberg specifically, and
data service vendors in general:
   http://www.frontgatesystems.com/middleframe18.htm

Thanks,

Kevin Kadow