Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application-level Attacks

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 16:59:15 -0500

M. Dodge Mumford wrote:
Marcus once mentioned out that that he got a tun interface running over
SMTP.  So that could be thought of as nfsd/mountd over sendmail (a sure sign
of the apocolypse in many cultures).

Anything which does I/O can be though of as using a protocol.

True! So then anything that is written in software is an application!
And, in fact, since hardware is written in software nowadays, it's
an application, too! So - EVERYTHING is an application. All attacks
are application layer attacks!

So that means application level security was invented by Jon Von Neumann
a long time before the marketing weasels had even heard of computers. :)

I'm gonna go back to staring at my navel, now. Recursion does that
to me...
mjr.